Coordinating events, errors, retries & replayability?

Is it possible to create an event-based architecture that can elegantly handle errors and allow retries and replayability of events in 8base?

If you were building this directly in AWS I think you’d likely use an event bus with queues (EventBridge and SQS) for coordination and retries, somehow store & log events for replayability, and handle specific errors with dead letter queues.

Are there prebuilt ways to handle this in 8base, or elegant ways to connect to other AWS services like EventBridge?

Thanks

Hello Clayton!

I’ve got your issue but I need more time to answer your question. I’ll let you know soon.

Lada Kokotova | Technical Support Engineer

1 Like

Hello Clayton!

At this time we don’t provide queue as a service, but we have it in our development plans.
The only way to get repeatable messages at this moment - use a queue (sqs, rabbitmq, and other) directly from custom functions.
You also can create your own simple queue at the database level, but this solution will be inferior to a full-fledged queue in many parameters.

Thank you Lada.

Are there any existing examples you might be able to point that connect 8base functions to AWS infrastructure manually (like SQS, EventBridge, etc)?

Hello

Of course! Our developer will give you an example but a little bit later, sorry about the wait.

1 Like

Hello!

Because we doest allow to call our lambdas on amazon directly you have only two ways to solve your problem. If you need to listen to events

• use webhooks (as I know event bridge support webhooks)
  • use persistent server (like small ec2 instance) which will pass all events from a queue to GQL API, but here are huge cons - you need to manage this instance

If you need dispatch events you can do it directly from 8base functions, and for handling you can use any type of worker, ex amazon autoscaling workes.

1 Like

Thanks Lada, I appreciate it.

1 Like

We’re lucky to have you. Thanks for being such a fantastic customer!